Wednesday, April 29, 2009

We need to focus on cricket: Ganguly

With only one win from five matches, Kolkata Knight Riders' IPL campaign hasn't quite got off to an ideal start. The team have been mired in controversies even before the tournament began, and former skipper Sourav Ganguly feels the focus needs to be on cricket if they are to turn things around. "I am a bit disappointed with the team's performance. But it isn't over till it's over. We can win a few matches and turn it around. We just need to focus on cricket," said Ganguly. On whether the team affected by too much of media attention, Ganguly said: "We have some names so it will remain in spotlight — Gayle, SRK, McCullum and myself. John (Buchanan) is also there so there's bound to be lot more focus on the team. The thing is when you don't win, controversies follow but when you start winning, everything dies down. "The left-hander, who was removed from the captaincy before the start of the of the tournament, said he does give a few inputs to his successor. "I don't want to confuse Bendon (McCullum) with too many advices...I give my inputs from time to time but at the end of the day, he's the leader and he has to take a call." Meanwhile, with KKR's frustration mounting after every defeat, captain McCullum said he would be "happy to step aside" if the side failed to make the semi-finals. "If we don't make the semi-finals then I am more than happy to step aside. To me it's about accountability as a captain," McCullum said. "I know I am going to be judged by results, my team is going to be judged by results and if I am not able to inspire my team to at least give ourselves a chance at least in the back-end of the tournament, I am more than happy to step aside come next season," he said. Asked whether captaincy was taking a toll on his form, McCullum said, "I don't think captaincy has burdened me as such."

No comments: