Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cricketer Kapil Dev now an honorary army officer

Cricketer Kapil Dev, who scripted history by leading the Indian team to victory the 1983 World Cup, was Wednesday commissioned into the Territorial Army (TA) as an honorary lieutenant colonel.Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor piped the badges of rank on the Haryana Hurricane's shoulders at a ceremony at the Army Headquarters in New Delhi.“This is my second innings. Earlier I fought for the country in my white uniform. Now, I will do the same in my olive green army uniform,” Kapil said proudly.Kapil, 50, was commissioned in the 150 TA (Infantry) battalion of the Punjab Regiment.“I am proud I have been given this rank. It took six months for the things to materialise, with the file moving from the home ministry to the defence ministry,” said Kapil, as his wife and daughter looked on.Kapil's induction's will help in attracting talent as the army is facing a major crunch in the officer cadre, an official said.

No comments: