Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Federer feels he is invincible again


Roger Federer feels he is "invincible" again. That's the warning he sounded for all those who thought they cracked the Swiss legend, and critics who wrote him off.

Federer after beating Andy Murray in US Open to end his Grand Slam drought this year, is just relieved to enter his zone, where he belonged all these years.

"I felt like I was invincible for a while again," said Federer after breezing through three sets against Murray 6-2, 7-5, 6-2 to win his fifth straight US Open championship and 13th Grand Slam title, one short of Pete Sampras's record collection.

"I don't understand redemption quite that well, but I don't think that's what it is. I don't feel like I needed this win particularly to prove myself."

"It's just being happy to be on top. So things are not looking that bad like everybody's talking about."

Federer has been hurtling down from one loss to another this season and the biggest setback was when Rafael Nadal snatched his proud possession for five years - Wimbledon - after an epic clash.

End of Federer era; time for change of guard, the critics said. "I was aware of all that was being said. Sometimes it annoys you. Because all sorts of crazy people started writing me and trying to reach me, telling me I need some help either mentally or physically," he said.

No comments: